Canada urgently needs a national food policy.
- close to two and a half million Canadians regularly have trouble putting food on the table,
- thousands of family farms are disappearing every year,
- the environment is being pushed to the limit,
- a quarter of Canadians are obese,
- Canada is the only G8 country without a nationally-funded school meal program.
Policy making is not just for politicians. Everyone who eats should have a say in the future of food.
Add your voice to calls for a National Food Policy that connects food, health, agriculture, the environment and social justice.
Yes! I support a national food policy that:
- Localizes the system so that food is eaten as close as possible to where it is produced and so that food dollars support the local economy.
- Supports food providers in a widespread shift to ecological production, including programs to support new farmers getting on the land.
- Enacts federal poverty elimination and prevention programs to ensure Canadians can better afford healthy food.
- Creates a nationally-funded children and food strategy.
- Ensures that the public is actively involved in decisions that affect the food system.